FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS YOUR GRASS-FED BEEF RAISED LOCALLY ON A FAMILY FARM?
• Yes, all of our cattle are born and raised on our family farm located in southern Iowa.
• We are personally involved in every aspect of the farming operation.
• All of our cattle are ear tagged at birth with an ID number and a detailed record is kept on each one from birth to harvest.
WHAT KIND OF CATTLE DO YOU RAISE AND WHY?
• We raise registered Angus cattle, because they have been proven to produce consistent, high quality beef, they thrive in our environment, and they are very good mothers.
• Our cattle are specifically bred to perform well on a forage based diet, targeting the key traits of good growth, high marbling, and tenderness, resulting in the best grass-fed beef on the market today.
• Our current bulls rank in the top 1% for marbling and top 15% for tenderness in the Angus breed.
IS YOUR GRASS-FED BEEF RAISED SUSTAINABLY?
• We are passionately committed to the long-term sustainability of our farm! We want to assure that we hand it down to the next generation in better condition than when we became it's caretakers.
• We are constantly striving to improve the land through sustainable farming techniques, including: contour planting of our pastures with Non-GMO seed, rotational grazing of our pastures, use of conservation terraces to reduce water erosion and no pesticide or herbicide use on the pastures.
ARE YOUR CATTLE FED A STRICTLY FORAGE DIET?
• Our cattle are fed a strictly forage diet from birth to harvest.
• During the growing season they graze high quality grass and legume pastures.
• During the winter months, they are fed hay and stored summer grasses and legumes.
• The high quality forages our cattle are fed contribute to the superior flavor and tenderness in the finished grass-fed beef product.
HAVE YOUR CATTLE EVER BEEN FED ANTIBIOTICS OR BEEN GIVEN HORMONES FOR GROWTH PROMOTION?
• Our cattle are never fed antibiotics or given synthetic growth hormones to enhance growth. They don’t need them as they grow extremely well on our healthy pastures.
• Antibiotics are only used in the rare case of illness, under strict veterinary supervision and documented in their individual record.
ARE YOUR CATTLE EVER FED ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS OR BY-PRODUCTS OF THE ETHANOL INDUSTRY?
• Our cattle are never fed animal by-products or by-products of the ethanol industry including gluten or dried distillers grain (DDGs).
ARE YOUR CATTLE RAISED HUMANELY?
• Our cattle are always handled in a humane manner, with their health and welfare as our top priority.
• We provide our cattle continuous access to pasture all year long.
• We invite you to come to the farm and see how calm and content our cattle are first hand.
WHAT AGE ARE YOUR CATTLE HARVESTED?
• The majority of our grass-fed beef is harvested between 18-24 months.
ARE YOUR CATTLE HARVESTED IN A HUMANE MANNER?
• We go to great lengths to insure our cattle are harvested humanely.
• Our cattle are processed in a family owned and operated, federally inspected facility, under strict quality standards.